Date Released: 19 February 2013
New series of LIVING THE WILDLIFE on RTÉ 1
This is the 5th series and will run from Tuesday 5th March for 6 weeks
1. Tuesday 5th March RTE 1 at 7pm - Pine Martens
Colin Stafford-Johnson returns for another series, this week he travels to Connemara in search of one of Ireland’s most elusive native species - the pine marten
2. Tuesday 12th March RTE 1 at 7pm - Pine Martens and Kestrels
The programme visits a family of kestrels, thriving on a diet of lizards in Connemara and investigates the effects of pine martens on Irelands squirrel population in a wood in County Wicklow.
3. Tuesday 19th March RTE 1 at 7pm - Eiderducks and Lizards
The team visit Inishmurray Island to follow the progress of recently hatched eiderduck chicks as they make their hazardous first journey from their nest to the sea and they go to Howth Head to look for lizards
4. Tuesday 26th March RTE 1 at 7pm - Blue Sharks
Scientists Tom Doyle and Luke Harman search for blue sharks off the Cork coast to catch and electronically tag for ongoing research before release back into the Atlantic.
5. Tuesday 2nd April RTE 1 at 7pm - Barn Owls
Colin discusses the current state of Barn Owls in Ireland with owl expert John Lusby and visits a garden in North Cork – home to a family of owls with two young chicks.
6. Tuesday 9th April RTE 1 at 7pm - a year of wildlife
After many years travelling and interacting with wildlife, Colin advises viewers on how they can get out and be close to our wildlife throughout a calendar year.